Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Political Philosophy


Political Philosophy

A group of voters recently asked me to state publicly where I stand politically. I illustrated my opinions with the following:

An American moves into an uninhabited area. He may enjoy unencumbered freedom. He can go naked, set traps, build structures. I believe this American should exercise common sense, but since his behavior does not affect others, I would defend his right to act as he will.  

A second American moves into the same area. In order for her to enjoy freedom, the first American must accept something less than unencumbered freedom. He should wear clothes outside his home. He should not set traps on paths. He should not build structures wherever he likes. Common sense should be enough to govern his behavior, but in the long history of humanity, individual judgment has not produced acceptable behavior. When common sense fails, rules and regulations are necessary. 

How should government be applied? I believe the first American should not have more freedom than the second American, nor should she have more freedom than he. Both should enjoy equal measures of freedom.

Thirty four thousand people (the population of Steuben County) move into the area. As the population grows, so does the complexity of issues.

Changes inherent with the passage of time add to the complexity. For example, 10 years ago, there was no such thing as texting—sending messages via cell phone. Since texting requires concentration, common sense should prevent Americans from sending or receiving messages while driving a vehicle. But stand on a corner in downtown Angola, and in five minutes you will see multiple examples of drivers not governed by common sense.

When common sense fails, rules and regulations need to be applied. How? I believe there should be a balance of freedom between those who want to text and those who want to use public thoroughfares without exposure to unnecessary threats to their property or well-being.

I am a third generation American. I do not believe that I should have less freedom than a sixth generation American. Nor do I believe that I should have more freedom than a first generation American. The role of government is to find that delicate balance.

If elected to the Steuben County Council, I will not be allowed to make rules or regulations. My role will be limited to voting whether or not to fund projects proposed by the county commissioners. But my aim would be in line with the beliefs illustrated above. I would tend to vote to fund projects that balance the interests of as many Steuben County residents as possible—including future residents. I would tend not to vote for projects that benefit only a limited number of people, or do not look to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment